Monday 12 November 2018

Avonex Beta interferon not working after 9 years.


As informed earlier, I have been living with Multiple Sclerosis since 2009. It was only my initial 1-2 months i was on Methylprednisolone, Solumedrol on IV. After which I showed signs of weakness in limbs and difficulty in walking.

Soon i was put on Avonex beta interferon weekly injection since 2009. Gradually my walking distance reduced. This was followed by walking with support, holding some ones hand and reaching out to walls. My movement was restricted inside the house. Regular MRI’s were done for evaluating new lesions or enhancing lesions. All my lesions were inactive and new ones were not appearing in the brain.

My neurologist advised me to take a break from Avonex as my condition are stable clinically as there are no new findings in MRI. This was a biggest mistake that had to happen ever. I had serious problems on the third month of absenting Avonex, experienced vertical tremors while getting up, unable to walk without support, vision problems with more hand tremors.

I was immediately hospitalized and administered 5 day course of Methylprednisolone Solumedrol through IV. Followed by Omnacortil 10mg orally for 2 weeks after my discharge from hospital. Then again from 2014, after a gap of 3 months i am on Avonex weekly.

Now after 9 years on Avonex, my conditions are not any better as my walking, tremor has not been any better. Avonex just made more holes in my wallet. My neurologist has given me two options Natalizumab and Rituximab.

Please let me know fellow MSers if any of you are undergoing treatment with Natalizumab or Rituximab. Your experience will be of great help and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment